Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mosaic stairs

This is the largest project I have tackled to date. I am going to mosaic the stair risers. I will use stained glass, broken plates, and a few pieces of jewelry and glass globs. The colors will be blue, purple, green, brown, white, cream, and a few bright accent colors. The theme will be nature, with a river meandering into the distance. There are 16 risers and they are not exactly the same size. Some are 7" in height, some are 6 3/4" and some are 6 1/4". Here's my plan: I had Lowe's cut 1/4" Plexiglass in the size and shape of each riser, and I will mosaic sitting comfortably at the kitchen table. I will drill a hole on each end of the rectangle and then install with screws, which I will cover with a bead or marble. I will grout and seal before I install. Will this work? What can go wrong? Well, I foresee that the grout might develop hairline cracks; even though the 1/4" Plexiglass is hefty, it still has a tiny bit of flex and with grout, we don't want any flex. If it does have some cracks, I can repair them after installation; it will still be much easier than grouting in situ! I will post photos as I progress.

2 comments:

CathyC said...

This is going to be a fantastic project. I'm looking forward to hearing about and seeing your progress along the way!

sotiris said...

HI there great blog if you would like to reciprocate links with me on any of your blogs or websites my email is sotiris@wealthclub.ws or just go to http://www.worldinternetsummit.ws
http://www.organicgardening.me

Sotiris Bassakaopoulos

P.S Have a wonderful Day