Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Kat's vase: next project


This next project begins as a broken vase. It belonged to Kat's grandmother and sadly was broken. It is very heavy glass. I couldn't use it as tessarae; it's way too thick for that. I couldn't mosaic over it and still call it a vase; it might leak. I put it away in my cupboard for a year or more and every once in awhile I would brood about it; how could I salvage it in some way for my friend? Recently I bought a little piece of glass at a thrift shop that is shaped like a pyramid. It looks like a little candle holder that hung from a metal stand at one time. Turned upside down, it fits perfectly onto the top of Kat's vase. I wish I had taken pictures from the beginning but I didn't. Anyway, here's the vase, glued back together, with the pointy piece of glass glued to the top. More to come. The glass I use will be dark yet translucent and hopefully will allow a hint of light to filter through and show the beautiful colors. When I'm done, it will be called an OBELISK. Revered since antiquity, the obelisk form was a favorite of both the ancient Egyptians and imperial Rome.

2 comments:

Kiyi Kiyi said...

A-ha!
I have a piece just like your top piece, but I couldn't think of anything to do with it.
Can't wait to see what you do!

Unknown said...

Yep, now that I've had this idea, all I can think about is doing another one - a Bigger One! Lots of big old vases etc. that I've had sitting on the garage shelves for years now offer new possibilities. I am going to keep an eye open for these pyramid shaped thingies at thrift shops etc.