Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mosaic on Mesh

I am working on a small mosaic on mesh and taking photos as I go.  The cat was a glass piece that someone fused and it wound up at Goodwill.  I have cut it into pieces, head, collar, body, haunch, and two front legs.  (I know, I know!)  I have added a background including a butterfly, using stained glass, and a border of tiles (which will be shown in the finished picture). 

Here's how to create a mesh mosaic.  First we have an old wooden cutting board.  Any hard, flat surface will do.  Cover that with a large baggie (trimmed and opened up so that it is one flat layer).  Tape the baggie securely to the board.  Under the baggie I placed a white piece of paper the size I want the finished mosaic to be.  I'm using that as a guide.  On top of the baggie, I have laid a piece of mesh.  I take a tile and butter it with a dab of glue and attach it to the mesh.  When it's all done, I will wait until the glue is dry and then carefully peel up the entire mesh mosaic from the baggie.  Voila, I have a mosaic that is ready to be glued to a surface and then grouted. 

This mosaic will be installed at the J.H. Messina Children's Center in Fort Myers, Florida. The Center is transforming their outdoor environment into a Natural Playscape and several outdoor walls will be covered with mosaic work (of which this will be a tiny piece).

2 comments:

concretenprimroses said...

Sounds intriguing. Can't wait to see it.
Kathy

Unknown said...

Hopefully I will post another picture tomorrow. I am having computer issues tonight.